Of Course She Had To…
By Claudia Brauer
– Of course she had to hold me in her hands, it was her only attachment to the reality of dreams. Whether or not to let me go before that truck struck her, that was something else. I guess I could meow my way out of her stupor, but then she might drop me and then hope would be off the gate for both. I just knew I had to keep her holding me or else…. What is there on the other side of nothingness? Hmmmm…. Maybe I will meow… Jump, jump, off to the side, please … I really want you to have dreams!
– Of course I have to take him with me, he’s life would just be a constant suffering from his injuries…. No one is going to take care of a stray cat with a broken back… it is best for both of us if I play God for a day…was this really how it was supposed to end for him? So why did he survive the first time around anyway? Maybe I should just drop it off the side of the road and hope someone else will pick him up… but then I’d have to wait for another time again…Dad is going to take it on mom…. What will Rudy have to do for him now? Karen will be sad, I know… It hurts too much to talk… I just want it all to end…Just go to sleep and have it all end now… I just don’t want to hurt you too, little one, no hurting for you, it is for the best…. Or not?
– C’mon girl, get out of my way! C’mon, what’s the matter with you? Oh, no, God, no…..Can’t you hear me? Shit! Jump, girl, jump, now! Damn!
– My God, Frank, look at that girl on the street…. What’s she doing?! The truck won’t be able to stop on time…. Oh, God…. Oh, God…..
– ……. And ….Cut! We’ll do the jump at 8…. That’s a wrap for now!
Claps and cheers.
– Nicely done, Zamantha! Loved it! Very, very good!
– Zammy, that was terrific!
– Fabulos, mimi, you are the best!
– Oh, don’t take the kitty away, can I have it for a little while? He’s soooo cute…
– Lizzy, can Zammy keep the kitten for a few minutes? She wants to pet it… Great…. Thanks… Yes, take it to your trailer but we’ll have to give it back to Lizzy in a short while, so they can feed it before the next scene… don’t get too attached yet, OK?
– Yeah! Life is great!
# # # #